Thursday, December 30, 2010

a stalled white world - ah behin' - 12/30

The photos of the funny looking phone on the post in the Manhattan subway is (the phone)an example of the art that can be found in various subway stations these days. And, it is to symbolize the bloody phone call that came to tell me that the flight cancel.






Okay this is about the 27th and the 28th. The snow create havoc in Brooklyn and Manhattan and it give me a big headache. I was all ready for the trip to Canada. I had my whole body ready for Tim Horten's and a slower pace and the snow come and change all my plans. If you check out the photos you can see that the New Yorkers were not ready. Brooklyn was snowed in and some crazy people still tried to drive so you can imagine the confusion. Cars were stalled in the middle of the street in all kind of angles. The underground subway trains could only stop at certain stops and the overhead trains were just impossible. The airport was in major confusion and MY FLIGHT get cancelled. Okay, so one time was okay and I went out in the street for some fun - slipping and sliding in the piles of snow, checking out the cute young guy at the bodega. I was high still because I knew I was going to be on the plane the next morning. I wake up the next morning in good spirits and ready for a trip into the city for coffee, a read, and a walk. And, just before I head out the door --- brrriiiinnnng - the telephone ring and THE FLIGHT CANCEL AGAIN. Okay, I almost cry. This is two days out of my precious seven days. I was not happy, but I bite my lip and head out the door holding on to the optimist in me.

Long story short, Rosie change the flight. On the 29th I had to take the train to Penn Station and take the Amtrak to Newark Airport to catch a flight to Toronto and take the ferry to the shuttle and meet Jennifer at Union Station. If you see people at Penn Station. And, again a lot a people at Newark, but the flight was short, and the snack was free and the gingerale come in a glass. And, then Jennifer and I get to sit in Tim Horten's for about 45 minutes waiting for the train and having an honest to goodness gaff and laugh and it remind me how good it is to sit with someone that you know for years.

Now, I'm in Canada and guess what? The absentminded professor that I swear I am not, thought she was leaving NY for Guyana at 12:05 a.m. on the 4th when it is really 12:05 a.m. on the 3rd and her flight from Buffalo to NY is at 4 p.m. on the 2nd. So, it mean we driving from Toronto to Buffalo on January 2nd for one hour and a half and then I arrive at 4 p.m. in NY to get back to the apartment to pick up my bags and back to the airport for the Caribbean flight. whew!!

No comments:

Post a Comment