Tuesday, January 4, 2011

random video clips

1. driving behind a truck from the airport
2. standing on the corner of North Road
3. sitting in a taxi going over the bridge - Egrets (sp) settled in the tree
4. sitting in front of the Roti place watching people and traffic
5. driving down the road near the cemetery and going toward Ruimveldt

Guyana affects my body in a sort of calm way even though movement seems crazy. I am somewhat aware of the challenges that Guyana and Guyanese face from the perspective of an outsider. I have not lived here so I will come to understand after listening to people. But, after years of living in the US and traveling I've learned to listen to my body and, for some reason (one left to explore) I do not feel the tension, the stress in the air, that I've felt in other places. There is a breeze I felt all day yesterday and even more so in the evening and in some way I relate that breeze to the way Guyanese confront and deal with their day to day lives and circumstances (more to be said about that).

My reactions to Guyana after many years and after having visited a number of other places - small towns and cities are mixed with a number of positive feelings. The overall reaction is that I feel as if Guyana can be seen as young (over time I've come to understand that large social change happens over time laps that are longer than human lives) with a lot of opportunities and possibilities; it can be seen as born again or capable of being delivered into a fruitful situation. It can be a very exciting time for creativity. I heard somewhere on more than one occasion that positive change for the future will have to come with a shift in thinking. I do believe that and I believe that it makes the future exciting.

Again, this is from the point of view of someone who has been outside for many years. As I listened to the news this morning, I thought that it felt relaxing to only have one or two channels to choose from. I was impressed by the ad for the newspaper that emphasized an entire family and presented a visual of children choosing to read the newspaper because the newspaper also provided information that was of interest to children. As I listened Guyanese news, I heard information that highlighted positive developments in the country and analyses of how those projects were working. For example, there is a program for single women that gives them small loans to assist in entrepreneurial endeavors. There is also an agricultural movement to place Guyana as an important producer/contributor to the Caribbean.

Well, I'm off today to collect a story that I find exciting. I will share it later. I'm going to walk to Main Street today and then explore the area.





No comments:

Post a Comment