Saturday, January 15, 2011

unplanned and pleasant surprise - 1/15/11 - morning faces and voices


This young woman is the proud owner of her shop and a proud mother of three girls.


This young woman enjoys her independence, works full time, and helps her mother at the shop.

PLEASANT SURPRISE: MEET TWO NEW FRIENDS
I walked this morning to find a cool shirt and dress because I can't wear the usual Guyanese outfits. I still can't understand why in the tropics we hold on so dearly to a dress style meant for colder climates. In any case, it worked out well. I ran into a old Guyanese friend and chatted for a time. I then returned to a shop owned by a woman because I'd seen a little summer dress there last week and I also wanted to tell the woman, and other women I met, that I planned to return this week for photos and interviews.

As I left, I decided to stop and get a pedicure and meet the woman who owned the shop. The conversation was great; her friend joined us and they gave me a lot of information about their experiences and those of others. I couldn't do those interviews on the spot, but I took photos and asked one question so that I'd have something to introduce to you.



1 comment: