Thursday, January 27, 2011

Happiness according to travelwoman 1/27/11

Thank you for all the conversations and great ideas. Communicating through the blog was a great experience and now I have some more creative ideas for teaching. My happiness includes you ::))

The meaning of happiness creeps up on me. It is always like this. I've traveled often, yet, this feeling of exhilaration is like a slow intoxication. It always surprises.

Sitting in the cafe today I again realized a sense of happiness. Lately, I've found the words to name it. In front of me was a good book and a cup of warm decaf. I felt the tiredness in my muscles, but the soreness was less and I'd had a good night's sleep. I was rested enough to think and, therefore, the memories tumbled in and, I again felt a sense of achievement. I'd done it again - made a plan to travel and executed it. It was like having an unknown "bucket list" and recognizing the achievement of a goal in the middle of a surprise party.

This feeling of happiness cannot be stymied by my body's intent to let me know that I am middle aged. The sense of freedom erased the damage to my hip the drunk driver donated and the accidental strain on my lower back. I walked free for almost 20 days in Guyana and the feeling of control of my own actions was in itself a high. Forging ahead with my own dream to create educational programs in Guyana made me feel light in the midst of fighting the middle age spread. Actually, these travels also continue to motivate me to be physically healthy. So, back to those spin classes in Santa Barbara.

As time passes and I travel, the meaning of my life becomes even more clear and my personal smile stretches and stretches. The sense of freedom comes with a growing confidence and the knowledge that I am moving in the right direction.

I must also say that this sense of happiness also comes because of love and it enhances my ability to love. None of this is possible without the warm affection and continued support of loved ones. I must thank my mother for giving me both of these gifts. And, I recognize that in giving me these gifts she made it possible for me to find bonds with so many others.

1 comment:

  1. Melanie here! I enjoyed this piece, please email me--I have a question about your blog. MelanieLBowen[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete