Monday, January 3, 2011

Okay - Georgetown - I'm really home - 1/3/11

The two photos are of the airport.



Looking out of the plane window, I was caught by the sea of greens beneath me. And, as we flew across the Essequibo, I appreciated the land of many waters.

As I said before, I did not feel strange, nor did I feel as if it has been almost 30 years. The airport looked and felt comfortable; it wasn't too big and there was no crowd. It was a friendly and pleasant experience. As we drove away from the airport I felt very at home. The area hasn't changed that much and I could almost see and hear the days of the family at the swimming pool which must have been a part of the GDF. The deep cream color of some buildings erased the years. I did notice a number of mosques as we drove to town and they were very eye catching.

The roads are a little better; in some places they are wider, but the Guyanese driving is just the same: fast, sudden swerves, over taking all the way, pulling out of the roadside suddenly and no signal, tapping brakes but not stopping, a few dogs daring fate.

And, of course, in the middle of all of this my camera decides to have a dead battery. Stewups.

I found myself looking for the stark changes that I was told I would find, but nothing jumped out at me that made Guyana any different from many other places. Yes, it is obvious we are a poor nation because many houses need a paint job. Some buildings are empty. For example, a number of large houses on what used to be Diamond Sugar Estate are empty, but I understand that the land has been bought be a company and they are slowly renovating and using the property. Things take time. Many important things are the same; schools are full and functioning at least from my outsider view as I passed. Cuffy still stands strong and the Botanical Gardens is open and the iron gates are still the deep red color I remember. The cricket ground still yawns wide inside the zinc sheets I passed almost everyday.

I've been away for years and my drive only lasted a morning, but there were three new banks along the road to town (along the Demerara). I saw that Bourda market is very alive and now it is larger - having jumped the trench and is all over the section between North Road and Church Street. Georgetown hospital is in the midst of rebuilding parts and adding new buildings.

What I find interesting is the neglect of the cemetaries. It seems unusual to me that we would neglect places of the dead even if we are poor. I passed exactly where my father's and grandmother's grave should be and I would need an axe to get to them. Again, I wonder about that. I know we care deeply so why, compared to other nations/groups/cultures would we let it go? A young woman explained that they are dumping the increased amount of garbage in the cemetaries and because of this they are cremating more bodies.

What I did notice was the amount of garbage on the roads. To me that signaled a lack of funds more than the lack of paint. I must say though that it was not as much as I understood I would see, but it is only my first day.

A young woman explained to me that the imports that come in non-biodegradable wrappings are a part of the problem. People are throwing these pieces in the trenches and creating blockage problems. She said that they must go back to paper. Of course, that is also an environmental problem.

I am including a few arrival photos. Ijust changed my mind. I'm too pooped, but after driving today I do have a photo essay planned for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment