Saturday, January 1, 2011

The first day of the year - something about me 1/1/11

I am being brave. I usually hate photos of me, but today I`m starting with the Denise in the photo and it was taken tonight. I have issue with those cheeks but I`m learning to love them ::)) Yes, it seems the grin is all me too; the hair is pulled up in a kind of fro-poof. I'll use this one as an incentive to take one I like.

This whole idea of a travel blog was suggested by my dear friend. We met many years ago and he is an inspiration. I am making the trip; he can't. So, I'm situating him in the center of this conversation and dedicating this journey to him.




I believe I should tell you a little something about myself before I start this trip. It is 5:05 a.m. and I am not sleepy. I am tempted to stay awake and take a 7 a.m. walk by the lake.

What will this year bring? I will start the year with this blog and this venture. I was born some time ago ::)) and moved to the US in my late teens. I teach at a city college and I became interested in collecting stories of women for various reasons. And, I am interested in any form of resistance - rebellion, revolution, day to day, etc. - and I focus on women. I've visited communities in Mexico, Jamaica, Nova Scotia, and San Andres and interviewed women and men. I collect oral histories with a plan of bridging the lives of women across borders and creating various kinds of educational products.

The collection of these stories also contribute to my interest in poetry, photography, and video making. I think this blog will contribute to these interests. How will I tell this story and what will I tell?

I am making this trip to Guyana for various reasons. First, I`ve been thinking about returning to participate in creating programs in education; I think I would like to get old(er)in Guyana/Caribbean; I realized when I entered the US that I knew more about others and not much about my own country; I want to know more about Lethem and how the bridge is affecting lives; I want to tell stories using various media; I am fascinated by the lives of women and the way culture changes (evolves)over time.

Most of all, I just want to see, smell and hear Guyana again.

No comments:

Post a Comment