Thursday, January 6, 2011

pooped but what a day-1/6/11

The photo of the school is the building that was a childhood residence. I remember looking out the window during a rainstorm and seeing a donkey cart under the tree just as lightening slice the tree in half. I was young, but I remember that donkey moving fast. The other house is a reminder of childhood days; I had a crush on the neighbor and I was still riding a tricycle. Teenage years were spent there too. It look really fancy now ::))

The building with the thatched roof is called a benab and named "Umana Yana" which is Wai-Wai for "meeting place of the people"

Burnham's grave is in the building behind the monument. This area is called the Seven Ponds.














Until I was 9 or 10 I remember trips to the garden and big bands playing.

feeding the manatees - an almost weekly visit as a child.

It has been a long day and I only have about 20 minutes left before I leave for the bus. All I can do in those 20 minutes is upload some photos so you'll have a day's experience. A number of these photos bring back personal memories. I'll give a quick list. When I have the time along the way or in Lethem, I will sort things out and give more information. Yes, I did take some people photos and I did do a few short video clips, but they will have to wait.
Today:
1. band at seawall
2. band stand in botanical gardens
3. manatee in pond in gardens
4. a few wooden buildings around town - Queenstown
5. old Bacchus house now a school - childhood memories of Crown and Peter Rose Street
6. old Barima Avenue house in Bel Air - teenage memories
7. Martin Carter grave - Guyanese poet
8. Arthur Chung - First President of Guyana
9. Forbes Burnham grave (the blurry photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment