Thursday, January 6, 2011

Guyanese voices - 1/6/11

Update: The question was too simple and the comments were cliche - beautiful or wonderful. So, I changed the question to "What is the one thing you enjoy about your country?" The young man and woman worked at the shop that sold the bus tickets as well as food. I returned to Stabroek market and chatted with a few women who joked with me the day before.
-------------------------

My question was simple. What do you want to say about your country? Some background to these responses. I think this is necessary so that you can understand these comments. Yesterday, there was an explosion in the market that killed the man with the grenade and injured others. This upset many Guyanese. In short, I was told that Guyanese - Indian and Black - live quite well together for years until there is an election year. Now, after this explosion, everyone is worried that these incidents will start to happen. The two comments below suggest that this is now uppermost on people's minds. I'm off today to collect a few faces and voices. I will ask the same question.



No comments:

Post a Comment