Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mornin' - plans, observations, thoughts - 1/18/11

Plans:

I'll take you to visit the Guyanese craft area.

I plan to visit the women near Stabroek Market and return one dress and get another. Interview the women today if I can.

I hope to visit UG (University of Guyana)this week. I'll show you this visit if I can.

I'll meet with my sister today or tomorrow to find my father's grave. It might not be easy because for some reason some cemetaries have been neglected.

Observations:
The dress code for public buildings are strict. I was not able to enter the library with no sleeves and knee length shorts.

The garbage issue is around the market areas. At least, this is where I see the problem. And, I think it has to do with recyclable material. The garbage is mainly plastic and styrofoam materials. As I looked, I wondered if the more environmentally conscious countries are exporting products in material they wouldn't use. And, I believe that there must be ways to encourage people to recycle this material instead of dumping it.

I haven't noticed any chock and rob, but I do have travelwoman advice. I am always careful and my mother's advice helps me still. I always wear a strong bag that goes over my shoulder and I let it hang in front of me. I always have a hand on it. Robberies happen everywhere. Men should not carry their wallets in back pockets. Wear a strap purse near your belt.

Do not take risks. As in every country one visits it is dangerous to do certain things. Do not walk in desolate parks after dark or on dark and empty streets.

I visited an office yesterday to get business done. If you have to do this give it a day and wear proper clothes - sleeves and long pants. I noticed that people were very orderly and there was no stewups in the crowd. From what I observed, it takes time because a lot is still done by hand. People are friendly and willing to share advice with you.

In Guyana a lot is done by taxi. If you are at a hotel they will call a taxi and often they know the drivers. A lot of people have a particular taxi man they use and they'll share that with you. There's usually a long standing relationship with the taxi man that becomes personal. This means that the taxi man educates you too. The most I've paid in town is $600 and that's $3 US.

I'll be back with you later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment