Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Morning - The Education situation - 1/19/11

I'm hearing a lot about education so let me share what I've heard.

Right now I'm in the hotel listening to the budget discussion on the TV about education and I'm hearing that there is a program to provide computers and to ease up time for children and parents.

In Lethem, a young woman said, in response to my question about what she'd like to see happen, that she'd like to see computer courses offered. She, and others, said that young people don't have enough to do.

The older generation of women in their 50s in Lethem shared that they wanted to enhance literacy skills because as women it was not a priority offered to them.

Private schools:
There seems to be many of these schools. This seems to be the acceptable choice for those who can afford it and for those who can't they are trying to make incredible sacrifices to give their children a chance. One mother told me about the physical and mental stress she suffered and the toll it took on her family. And this woman is a woman with a certain amount of property.

This morning a young woman shared her experience at the public schools. Students had to buy their books. These books were often not used. She feels she only succeeded because her parents paid for private lessons.

UG and qualified workers:
From the business sector I heard that there's a problem getting qualified people because the majority of graduates from UG leave the country.

I was told by another Guyanese who is back and getting involved in change that the flow out of Guyana means that they don't have experienced teachers at UG.

One young woman told me that her sister received all 1s and one 2 when she took the CXC and she was not accepted at UG. She said that it was always her sister's dream and instead she did computer classes.


Okay, I couldn't resist taking a photo of this Guyanese furniture because I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment